Casual – service covers Monday – Sunday – between 07:00 & 22:00 worked over a service led rota that includes days & evenings, weekends and bank holidays
The overall purpose of Sheltered Housing is to provide accommodation and support when needed.
You will work as part of the Ian Gibson Court care team to deliver effective personal care & social support to a number of residents living in their own homes within Cat 2.5 sheltered housing scheme Ian Gibson Court.
As a Casual Care Assistant you will be asked to cover care staff absence and periods of high care demand.
Sheltered Housing is purpose built accommodation staffed 24 hours a day, offering support and security for older persons. In Sheltered Housing we promote and support independent living to enable residents to maintain their wellbeing and with the knowledge that someone is always on hand to give support where needed.
What is the role?
As a Casual Care Assistant you will:
- Work to provide person centred care and support for older people living independently in their own home as per their individual care plan and in a way that meets the Adult Social Care purpose ‘help me when I need it to live the life I want to’
- Assist clients in a range of daily living tasks, for example with transfers, toileting (including dealing with bodily fluids), and mobility, washing and dressing. Along with some household tasks, meal preparation, social activities and support to access to the community.
- Work alongside health professionals and others to support a client’s wishes regarding end of life care
- Work in a way that encourages independence and motivates the client as well as observing and promoting the clients choices, privacy, dignity and other rights
- Maintain confidential, legible and accurate records in relation to care and medical support given
- Work jointly and effectively with the sheltered housing service and others including internal and external staff and agencies, providing input into the care and support plans of clients
- Attend supervision sessions and undertake the required training as appropriate to the role.
- Work in a way that promotes the health, safety & wellbeing of clients, yourself, your team and others
- Be part of a team under the direction of the Care Service Manager / Registered Manager
- Work as part of a rota, Monday to Sunday, with the earliest shift commencing at 7am and the latest ending at 22:00pm.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Have achieved the Care Certificate or NVQ 2 or 3 in Care (Older people) & have certificated evidence of this available
- Have knowledge and experience of the differing care and support needs of older people and the life issues they face
- Have a patient & caring nature that works to enable people to maintain their independence in their own home for as long as possible.
- Have the physical ability to undertake moving & handling of people tasks, including the use of equipment (training provided)
- Be reliable to ensure that service delivery is met
- Have the ability to understand and adhere to professional boundaries at all times
- Have good listening, verbal, written and reading skills to enable you to effectively maintain records & understand, document and communicate information with clients, your team and others.
- Have excellent people skills in order to gain the trust of clients and their families/advocates
- Have the motivation & ability to work alongside other agencies to get the best outcomes for clients
- Be able to work as part of a team, but also able to work alone with confidence
- Have the confidence and ability to raise concerns/issues, solve problems and respond to emergencies as they arise
- Be self-motivated and able to use your own initiative whilst recognising and working within the boundaries of PCC / CQC policies and procedures in place.
- Be willing to attend and participate in all training required as appropriate to the role and as identified by your line manager
- Have basic IT skills, including use of Microsoft Outlook and experience of using Word/Excel and able to use in house databases as required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please call 02392 606358 (please note this is a busy office so we may not answer outside of 10:30 – 13:30 or on weekends).