Fixed term contract for 15 months
Facilities Operative Level 2 Qualification with HIT training
37 hours per week
What’s on offer
We are offering a fantastic opportunity for you to start a career with us by joining as an Estate Services Officer Apprentice. You will get:
- Up to 15 months of paid work
- You will have a mentor/buddy who will be an experienced member of staff who can help you through the training.
- You will get a qualification and support to help you achieve this.
- You will improve your career prospects with the experience and qualifications gained and the possibility of getting permanent employment within Portsmouth City Council
The employment Benefits will be
- A level 2 qualification in Facilities
- Access to all PCC Corporate Training
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Access to PCC ‘My Rewards’
Portsmouth City Council Housing Service manages over 17,000 council owned and leasehold properties in Portsmouth and Havant making it the largest social landlord in that area. This includes repairs and maintenance, rent collection, ground maintenance and cleaning, tenancy support and tackling anti-social behaviour.
The Housing Service through its staff focuses on getting the delivery of our services right, in order, to deliver what customers need from our services, when they need it.
Purpose – To help keep the city safe, clean and tidy and provide support / assistance when needed.
What is the role?
The Estate Service Officer Apprentice will work alongside existing Estate Service Officers who are responsible for providing a quality service in all aspects of estate management.
You will receive training and support to enable you perform all aspects of the Estate Service Officer role which includes inspecting blocks of flats, communal areas, play sites, parking sites and garages ensuring they are maintained in a safe, clean and tidy condition. This will involve speaking to tenants/leaseholders regarding the correct disposal of black bags and bulk items with a view to re-educate those who are not disposing of these items in the correct way. Whilst dealing with estate based issues you will Estate Service Officers listen to residents, gain an understanding of the situation / circumstances, react to the problem appropriately and when necessary challenge resident behaviour.
This is a varied and challenging role that involves dealing with a wide section of the local community and other external agencies such as the police as well as putting you in close contact with numerous departments within Portsmouth City Council, so your ability to work in partnership with others will be paramount.
This is not an office based role. Estate Service Officers routinely carry out minor repairs to housing communal areas, such as changing light bulbs which require the use of ladders. You will also need to be able to walk up several flights of stairs, move refuse bins and access bins to investigate waste.
One of our Estate Services Officers had this to say about their role
“An ESO’s role gives me a wide and diverse set of skills to progress within Social Housing and is a good stepping stone for future development. I enjoy meeting and supporting our residents, I like making a difference and seeing a job through to the end.”
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Have excellent customer service skills and be confident in your approach and delivery when dealing with customers
- Have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels including with residents, other departments within Portsmouth City Council and external agencies.
- Have a proactive approach when dealing with and identifying issues in the area, engaging with customers, in a calm and tactful manner, and challenging behaviours when necessary.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team, using your own initiative and judgement in order to find appropriate and effective solutions.
- Be able to identify or consider other resources available to you to help you achieve results for our customers.
- Have the ability to write letters to customers, make clear written notes and prepare reports / statements.
- Be able to carry out minor repairs to housing communal areas, such as changing light bulbs which may require the use of ladders (although training will be provided).
- Be able and prepared to help support our customers as needed, for example, carry shopping, climb stairs and move refuse bins.
- Be comfortable using a variety of IT systems such as Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Be willing to learn and develop.
- Be flexible as occasionally you may be required to work outside office hours i.e. to attend residents meetings
- Driving Licence and use of a car is desirable (not essential)
Assessments & interviews 8th & 9th December 2020
You will need to demonstrate that you have the Right to Work in the UK. No post will be offered without it.
After the closing date all applications will be sifted for suitable candidates by Portsmouth City Council manager and the training provider.
Once the selection has taken place, if successful you will be asked to attend an assessment centre, which will hopefully lead to an interview.
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Larry Clay on 023 92606320