Gosport Borough Council (GBC) Property and Housing Services
Gosport Borough Council (GBC) and Portsmouth City Council are working in partnership to the mutual advantage of both authorities. GBC has remained an autonomous local authority with a housing service based in Gosport.
Gosport borough is on the beautiful south coast, boasting a magnificent heritage thanks to centuries of links with the Royal Navy. Its unique waterfront attractions and history give it a special character, and it benefits from 25 miles of coastline, including the sailing hub of Portsmouth Harbour and beaches at Stokes Bay and Lee-on-the-Solent.
It is also a borough with unique economic opportunities. Its military heritage means it is strongly represented in the advanced manufacturing, aerospace and marine sectors. And as military needs have changed, the borough has gained development sites with huge potential.
Gosport has convenient links to the motorway network and the main south coast trunk road, and a short ferry hop provides a link to the main rail line to London.
Your New Role
Gosport Borough Council Housing Service has a bright future and we hope you will play a part in supporting the service to meet the needs of our customers.
Gosport Borough Council is responsible for managing over 3000 council houses and flats, some of which are dedicated to older persons and some as temporary accommodation. The service manages a varied Commercial property portfolio dealing with licences, concessions and a mobile home park.
You will be based at our Gosport Town Hall within a Property Services team supporting the Property Services Manager.
We are looking for an experienced building surveyor to join our Property Services team with good building surveying and asset management knowledge and relevant experience of JCT and NEC contracts.
Candidates must be enthusiastic, good communicators and flexible with experience of building surveying, asset management, and contract management.
You will support and deputise as appropriate for the Property Services Manager to manage all resources available including technical staff, to ensure that the Property Services team can meet the demands that it receives.
You will be required to hold a full current driving licence and have a car available; casual car user allowance will be paid.
You will need to demonstrate transferable skills from your current or previous employment against each of the points described in ‘We are looking for somebody who’ section on the Job Profile.
(Applicants will be shortlisted based on their ability to use good examples illustrating what they’ve done, why they’ve done it and how they went about it).
Please do not just send a C.V.
Closing Date: Friday 2nd October 2020
Interview process: TBC
All applicants will be advised once short listing has been completed after the closing date.
The Council is committed to equal opportunities for all.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
As part of any recruitment process, Gosport Borough Council collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. Gosport Borough Council is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
Completing and sending an application in for a vacancy is your consent for us to process your data for the purpose of the recruitment. Your data is not used in any other way and you can withdraw your consent at any point in the recruitment process and we will destroy or delete your information.
For more detailed information on what we collect how we use, store, delete date and your rights you can access a privacy statement on the Council’s website https://www.gosport.gov.uk/sections/your-council/data-protection/data-protection-privacy-notice/
Senior Building Surveyor – LCS51
Based at the Town Hall, High Street, Gosport
37 hours per week, normally Monday to Friday, in accordance with the Councils scheme of flexible working hours. The post holder may be required to work outside normal office hours from time to time.
What is the role?
You and the Property Services Team will be responsible for surveying our housing stock and corporate assets, evaluating and diagnosing what work is required, assessing the best options to carry out the work, issuing repairs or preparing specifications of work as necessary and managing the work undertaken and a varied range of projects.
The projects carried out may include decorations to external and communal areas, cladding, fire upgrading work, window replacement, re-roofing, electrical work, extensions, and structural repairs. The individual projects you will lead may be complex or high profile and involve a varied team of professionals, contract values will typically range from £50,000 to £1,000,000 and occasionally higher.
You will run planned projects as Contract Administrator using JCT and NEC suite of contracts, and will assist team members to do so.
You will manage the allocated resources available including budgets, contractors, technical staff and consultants to ensure that the team you are leading can manage effectively the demands that it is allocated.
You will allocate workloads; facilitate learning and development of your team to ensure a consistent approach to surveying and managing the schemes to the current policies or legislation as appropriate.
You will manage the repairs and maintenance of the assets you are responsible for and ensure that we have accurate stock data information as appropriate. You will assess the condition of the assets, identify cyclical work, prioritise demands and support the Property Service Manager to prepare planned maintenance programmes of work.
You will assist with the procurement and management of all contractors providing a repairs and maintenance service or undertaking specific projects, ensuring that the service is provided in accordance with the contract.
You will liaise with customers and stakeholders as appropriate regarding the repairs and maintenance service, including residents, leaseholders, local councillors, building users and other Gosport BC section heads.
You will manage and develop a team of Building Surveyors who will carry out a wide range of surveying duties across our varied 3,000 housing residential stock and portfolio of various corporate commercial and non-housing.
assets supporting us to maintain and improve our properties, ensure the right repair at the right time and help us provide suitable homes when needed.
You will support and deputise as appropriate for the Property Services Manager to manage all resources available including technical staff, to ensure that the Property Services team can meet the demands that it receives
We are looking for somebody who:
- Has a degree or HNC level qualification in a relevant building surveying or construction related subject and preferably either RICS or CIOB member status.
- Have knowledge of the JCT and NEC suite of contracts including experience of managing contractors, negotiating contractual matters and resolution of disputes with contractors
- Has knowledge and be able to advise others of building construction technology and building pathology.
- Has knowledge and be able to apply building related legislation, contract law and guidance. Specifically the building regulations, planning law, party wall act, fire safety, electrical inspections, gas installations, JCT and NEC contracts.
- Has knowledge and be able to apply construction related health & safety legislation generally including advising others. Specifically the CDM Regulations 2007 and asbestos at work regulations.
- Have good knowledge and experience of applying building related legislation, contract law and guidance. Specifically the Housing Act, building regulations, planning law, fire safety, electrical inspections, gas installations, legionella, with the ability to advise others.
- Capable to undertake surveys, assess technical staff, develop and coach practical surveying skills. Surveys include stock condition surveys and dilapidation surveys, measured surveys, energy performance surveys, fire risk assessments, asbestos surveys, recording stock data, identifying building defects, assess quality of work undertaken, offer solutions to resolve any issues identify and prepare specifications for repairs or planned maintenance schemes.
- Has the ability to evaluate different building options and prepare a specification of work, gain quotations or tenders and manage repairs contracts.
- Has relevant knowledge and experience to apply cost control and budget management techniques. Demonstrate commercial awareness and be able to undertake cost estimates for building projects and the repairs service, exercise financial control and assess value for money for the service provided when evaluating the contractor’s application for payment or invoices and negotiating variations or final accounts.
- Has relevant experience of using all Microsoft packages; in particular be able to demonstrate practical IT skills using Word when preparing letters, reports and specifications and Excel spreadsheets to analyse data and be able to use various software packages to accurately update data as part of undertaking the role.
- Has relevant experience of public procurement rules and procedures for building work to gain quotations and tenders.
- Capable to interrogate, analyse and evaluate stock data including repair information, to ensure that stock data is accurate within a specific geographic area and measure the performance of the repairs and maintenance service.
- Has relevant knowledge and experience of managing and developing staff to meet the demands received by the Property Services team.
- Organised and methodical when managing resources available to provide the service
- Be able to advise and communicate with a range of different types and levels of project stakeholders at each stage of the project as appropriate including leading meetings or presentations or providing written reports.
- Has good in-person, telephone and written communication skills, be assertive as necessary when working with contractors, Housing staff, other departments and ward councillors. As most repairs and maintenance work is undertaken in occupation whilst our residents are living in their homes or commercial buildings are operational, you will need to liaise and consult as appropriate with all building users, including presentations to stakeholder groups as necessary.
- Has experience of developing relationships with clients and customers, understanding their aspirations, managing expectations and ensuring they are fully informed regarding their repairs service.
- Has a full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting sites across Gosport and will need to travel effectively between them. You may also be required to occasionally attend evening meetings as appropriate
The post holder will be required to hold a full current driving licence and have a car available; casual car user allowance will be paid.
There may also be an occasional need to work outside normal working hours.