Attendance Support Officer
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices Guildhall Walk Portsmouth
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£20,512 - £22,223 Per Annum
7 October 2022
Attendance Support Officer – Administration role
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
As an Attendance support officer you will be predominantly administering the effectively assist in the discharge of the Local Authority’s statutory functions relating to school attendance, child employment and entertainment and children missing education. This role would suit someone with strong administrative skills and experience of working in an administrative role.
Key administrative tasks will include:
- Registering and issuing Penalty Notices for irregular school attendance. This includes raising invoices and drafting relevant documentation. Tracking/checking/recording the progress of the penalty notice procedure through various data bases.
- Assisting in the co-ordination of Fast Track Panels. Note taking and general administration of the fast track process.
- Provide administrative assistance and support with tasks relating to statutory processes undertaken by the school attendance team.
- Give administrative assistance and support processing child work permits, child performance licences and chaperone licences.
- Give administrative assistance and support processing pupils who are electively home educated.
- Provide administrative assistance and support processing migrating pupils and children missing education.
- Maintaining, updating and developing database systems across a wide area of the team as directed by management.
- Maintain and update E-file system. Provide regular data/reports across all work areas covered by the school attendance team.
- Ensure systems are in place which contributes to office standards and procedures being adhered to.
- Dealing with general telephone enquiries both internally and externally
What you’ll need to succeed
You will have experience of working in an administrative role as well as an excellent standard of literacy with the ability to compose correspondence to a high and professional standard. In addition, you will have the ability to produce, process and analyse a wide range of data and an in depth experience of using Excel, Word, Outlook and Access. Database experience is also essential. Excellent IT skills are essential.
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
How to apply: Please see attached documents at the bottom of the Job page and ensure you fully read and follow the guidance in the ‘How to Apply’ on the home page before you complete your application to ensure that you fully demonstrate how you meet the points on the job profile in the ‘who is the person’. In addition there is information in the How to apply that you need to evidence in your application.
Please do not apply if you have recently submitted an application for this post.