Building Maintenance Business Intelligence Analyst
Portsmouth City Council
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£32,233 - £35,744 Per Annum
31 May 2021
Salary: Band 9 – £32,233 – £35,744 p.a. plus a Market Supplement Payment of up to £4,302 p.a.
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role & What We Can Offer
We are looking for a Business Intelligence Analyst to work with our Repairs Service Manager supporting all our building maintenance teams.
Candidates must be enthusiastic, good communicators, organised, have a keen eye for detail, and be able to organise & analyse data using Excel.
The building maintenance service has an annual budget of close to £50 million to maintain and improve its social housing and corporate building stock.
The last fifteen years has seen the service conduct a series of continuous improvement interventions, using Vanguard’s systems thinking methodology, and we continue to strive to understand what matters to our customers and how we can deliver that in an effective and efficient manner, using a wide variety of data and capability measures.
We can provide you with an opportunity to work across the service supporting all the teams we manage with a variety of repair, void, project, stock and financial data.
We will support you by providing opportunities to train and develop your existing knowledge and skills, as appropriate.
For the right candidate there will be opportunities to extend their knowledge and skills further with our bespoke in-house repairs and maintenance IT system (SQL/Server database).
You will be based at one of our offices supporting the Repairs Service Manager.
You will take the lead in providing building maintenance input for a variety of monthly, quarterly and annual performance reports and statutory returns for internal and external audiences.
You will provide ad hoc support to all building maintenance teams, and others, who require data from our systems, including to enable us to respond to Freedom of Information requests and complaints.
You will support managers in building maintenance improve their use of the data we collect and to run measures, ensuring it helps us meet the purposes of “maintaining and improving our properties” and “right repair at the right time”.
You will prepare and maintain database queries to extract data for analysis from tables with several million rows of data.
You will produce and amend documentation, including process guides, in support of the role.
You will support the Repairs Service Manager in the operation of the budget allocation process using the data from our databases in conjunction with our service provider monthly valuations.
You will support the Repairs Service Manager in testing new releases of the repairs and maintenance IT system prior to release.
Who is the person?
Essential skills and knowledge you need to have:
- at least a second class degree in a numerate subject or demonstrate sufficient relevant knowledge and experience, e.g. work experience in a similar role
- an excellent practical knowledge of Microsoft Excel, including the ability to use advanced formulas and reporting techniques to analyse data, e.g. merging multiple data sets, PivotTables, Boolean logic, Array formulas
- good data management, problem solving and analytical skills, including an understanding of statistics
- the ability to work accurately with data and demonstrate a thorough attention to detail
- the ability to use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint to prepare reports and presentations that succinctly communicate data to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- an organised and methodical approach to managing demands and have the ability to prioritise, escalating for very complex or highly sensitive demands
- the ability to work independently and as part of a team to resolve problems, challenge other’s ideas based on knowledge and help find proportionate and effective solutions
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- an understanding of business finance, including revenue, capital and budget monitoring
- an appreciation of continuous improvement techniques, especially relating to systems thinking and Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- a knowledge of database systems and how to specify simple queries, e.g. Microsoft Excel Query from SQL Server
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Paul Sorrell (Repairs Service Manager) on
07951 889 500 or e-mail
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached.
There is no set closing date – we will shortlist as the advert goes along and contact shortlisted applicants to arrange an initial Excel assessment. We may close the advert early if we receive enough suitable applications.
Please ensure you check your spam/junk e-mail folders as sometimes e-mails may go there.