Casual Support Assistant (Category 2.5 Sheltered Housing) Arthur Dann Court/Bresler House
Portsmouth City Council
Arthur Dann Court Cosham/Bresler House Paulsgrove
Job typeSessional, Casual
£11 - £11 Per Hour
30 June 2022
Rate of pay is £11.00 per hour (includes uplift for working weekends & Bank Holidays)
Location: Arthur Dann Court (Cosham) / Bresler House (Paulsgrove)
Hours: Monday – Sunday between 07:00 & 22:00 worked over a service led rota that includes days & evenings, weekends & Bank Holidays.
The need for casual worker support is most likely to occur for evening, Bank Holiday and weekend cover.
The overall purpose of Sheltered Housing is to provide the right accommodation and support when needed.
Sheltered Housing is purpose built accommodation offering support and security for older persons. In Sheltered Housing we promote independent living for residents but with the knowledge that someone is always on hand to give support and to be available to help in an emergency. Residents have their own tenancy agreement with Portsmouth City Council; therefore residents are able to live independently in their own accommodation but with support available as needed. There are shared areas in the sheltered scheme in which residents can meet and also enjoy some social activities.
What is the role?
As a Casual Support Assistant you will be asked to cover staff absence and periods of high demand in either Arthur Dann Court or Bresler House. This may require you to lone work, but you will be provided with the training and induction needed to enable you to do this with confidence.
As a Support Assistant, you will provide residents with day to day housing related support according to need. This for example may involve domestic help or personal reassurance. You will arrange for property repairs and liaise with Care Agencies, Social Workers, GPs, chemists and families of residents where appropriate. You will be expected to deal with any emergencies. On occasions, this will involve assisting some frailer residents with personal care issues.
If working during lunchtime periods, you will be involved in the serving of meals to the residents, and this, as well as some other activities, will require you to handle and account for cash collected from the residents.
You will be part of a Support Assistant team under the supervision of the Scheme Manager. Part of your duties will be to assist the Scheme Manager with ensuring the security of the building and the carrying out of various health and safety checks.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Have an understanding of older persons and the needs and the concerns that they might have.
- Have a caring nature that works to enable people to maintain their independence in their own home as long as possible.
- Be a good listener, with a calm manner, with the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English.
- Be confident in talking to the families of residents and agencies involved with the resident (for example, a GP, Social Worker or Care Agency).
- Be able to assess and resolve day to day problems in order to enhance resident welfare
- Be able to write short, clear records of what has happened to residents during your shift and to produce support plans following discussions with a resident.
- Have basic numerical skills.
- Be prepared to provide direct assistance to residents with their personal living conditions, and, in an emergency, with their personal care.
- Have an awareness of the importance of confidentiality and professional boundaries when working with older persons.
- Be physically able to participate in moving and handling of people tasks.
- Be a good team worker.
- Have the confidence to work alone, including the ability to deal with emergencies in a calm manner.
- Have basic IT skills e.g. basic use of Microsoft Office packages such as Word and Outlook.
- Be willing to participate in relevant job training.
- Be flexible and reliable. You may be called on at short notice to provide support.
If you would like to discuss further or arrange a visit please contact:
Lyn Freeman – Scheme Manager, Bresler House – 02392 321002
Nicola Jones – Scheme Manager, Arthur Dann Court – 02392 214175
There is no closing date – we will shortlist as the advert goes along. We may close the advert early if we receive enough suitable applications
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached.
Please detail your full employment history with dates and explain any gaps. Please also include references from your last 2 years employment – these must be managerial (no personal references).