Clerk of Works
Portsmouth City Council
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£32,233 - £35,744 Per Annum
30 June 2022
Who are we looking for?
Following our successful 2021 recruitment programme, the Clerk of Works team is further expanding in 2022, therefore we are looking for a highly motivated person to join our Building Projects team with good practical building/construction knowledge and relevant site inspector or supervisory experience. Candidates must be confident, good communicators and be extremely thorough with an eye for detail.
Ideally the candidate will have at least substantial experience working in the Construction industry and be from a trade background.
We are looking for someone who is willing to learn and enthusiastic about developing their career within the local authority sector.
Candidates will preferably be working towards membership of The Institute of Clerk of Works and Construction Inspectorate of GB. (ICWCI)
What we can offer?
We can offer a diverse and exciting workload focusing on maintaining and improving our portfolio of 15,000 housing assets ranging from Victorian terrace houses through to new build properties as well as over 800 corporate assets, including commercial office buildings, leisure and educational facilities and unique buildings such as Southsea Castle and the Spinnaker Tower.
All of our buildings are in close proximity in and around Portsmouth so time spent travelling is minimised.
Typical projects would include planned maintenance schemes, extensions, adaptation and conversion of existing properties, through to full refurbishment & new build developments.
Whilst you will be working closely with a Senior Clerk of Works as part of the Clerk of Works team, you will be given freedom to manage your own work load on a weekly basis.
Key duties will include;
- Working closely with Contract Administrators to ensure that contractors deliver projects to a high standard
- Ensure that projects are in full compliance with Building Regulations and all other current legislation as well as Contract drawings and specifications
- Highlight any Health & Safety issues directly with contractors and report back as necessary
- Carry out technical inspections to ensure completion to required standard.
- Ascertain value for money & confirm quantities on site
- Be confident in raising potential issues with contractors directly
- Attend project meetings and have good communication skills
- Compile detailed Weekly Site Reports
- Assist as and when required with other building surveys such as defect investigation, end of defect inspections etc
- Salary up to £35,744p.a
- 26 days leave (rising to 30 after 5 years’ service) with bank holidays on top
- Access to the excellent Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Flexible working including home working options
- Mileage allowance between projects
- Staff discounts at a range of companies including supermarkets and high street retailers
- Full support from Qualified Clerk of Works and other experienced team members
- Future career progression with PCC
- Professional but friendly work environment
Who is the person?
- You must have relevant trade or construction based City & Guilds/NVQ qualifications such as NVQ level 3.
- Have experience of acting in a supervisory capacity on construction sites.
- Have appropriate up to date training record for Construction based Subjects, such as SMSTS or SSSTS, CSCS, and First Aid.
- Preferably be working towards membership with The Institute of Clerk of Works and Construction Inspectorate of GB (ICWCI)
- Be attentive to detail when checking works and materials, demonstrate an ability to lead setting the standard of work expected on site in accordance with the specification,
- Be confident and assertive when making decisions and informing the contractor as necessary.
- Have knowledge and be able to apply construction related health & safety legislation generally, including the CDM Regulations 2015, Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and Working at Height Regulation 2005.
- Demonstrate good IT skills using tablets and formulating detailed site reports.
- Understand Technical drawings and solve problems before they arise on site
- Have a full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting various sites across Portsmouth and will need to travel effectively between them.
There is no closing date – we will shortlist as the advert goes along. We may close the advert early if we receive enough suitable applications
Assessment: This will involve an inspection of a live Construction site.
Successfully shortlisted candidates will be contacted and provided with details of an assessment. The scope and format of the assessment will be tailored to ensure that it meets government guidelines in response to COVID-19.
Candidates who successfully complete the assessment will be invited for a final formal interview on a mutually agreeable date. The interview will focus on your own knowledge and personal experiences.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached.