Debt Recovery Officer
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices Guildhall Walk Portsmouth
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£22,223 - £25,927 Per Annum
14 August 2022
We are committed to putting our customers at the heart of everything we do and we are looking for a talented Revenues & Benefits professional, with expertise in local taxation billing, collection and recovery.
The Revenues & Benefits team bill and collect council tax and non-domestic rates, as well as administering housing benefit, discretionary housing payments and the local council tax support scheme.
Our Revenues function is responsible for collecting council tax and business rates (non-domestic rates) for Portsmouth. The team administers accounts for more than 93,000 domestic dwellings and more than 6,500 business properties. The team manages the billing process, and recovery actions for outstanding bills.
What is the role?
Working as part of the Revenues Recovery Team in our Revenues & Benefits Service, the main responsibility of the role is to ensure that the collection of Council Tax and Non Domestic Rates for Portsmouth City Council is maintained at its highest possible level. You will be part of a team of highly experienced debt recovery officers working in a front line service, so you will have strong customer service skills and the ability to deal firmly but sensitively with members of the public by telephone, in person or in writing.
Who is the person?
You will need:
- • Experience in working in Council Tax/NNDR billing or debt recovery, together with knowledge of Local Taxation and NNDR legislation is advantageous.
- • Excellent negotiation, communication and diplomacy skills including having the ability to communicate ideas and complex issues clearly and effectively.
- • To be able to work in a pressurised environment whilst remaining calm and even tempered and be able to diffuse difficult situations
- • To be able to communicate effectively with customer by telephone, in writing and in person, and to achieve position outcomes
- • The ability to prioritise and effectively manage your own workload while working to targets demonstrating competence
- • Accuracy, ensuring attention to detail
- • Be able to form relationships with other departments and services
- • To understand what it is to be a positive and effective part of a team, how to develop your role within the team and awareness of others’ feelings needs and concerns
- • Knowledge of relevant systems such as NEC and Enterprise and be confident with IT, including Microsoft office and be keen to use the latest technology.
- • An understanding of GDPR and keeping data secure
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience or transferable skills. The full job profile is attached.