Deputy Head of Year - The Portsmouth Academy
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£18,367 - £20,672
20 June 2021
Deputy Head of Year
Grade D: £21,214 – £23,876 (Full Time Equivalent)
Actual Salary: £18,367 – £20,672
37 hours per week – 40 weeks (Term time plus 1 week)
Start date: 02 September 2021
Closing date: 20 June 2021
Interviews: w/c 21 June 2021
The Portsmouth Academy is a successful and growing school, which is currently going through a period of expansion. In order to support our continued growth, we are looking to appoint a Deputy Head of Year to join our supportive and dynamic staff team.
It is an exciting time to be joining the hardworking and committed staff at The Portsmouth Academy, our brand new Aspire building launched in September 2020 boasting excellent facilities and panoramic views of the city, as well as additional refurbishment in the existing building.
The Portsmouth Academy is also on a journey to becoming a “Microsoft Showcase School” due to our approach to digital learning.
“Leaders have dramatically improved the quality of teaching, learning and assessment… consequently, the quality of teaching, learning and assessment is consistently good and continues to improve.” – Ofsted, April 2017
We are privileged to work in a stunning learning environment with excellent resources. The Academy is focused on providing an education for all children and ensuring that every child has access to the same opportunities. Our belief is that each person is unique – every member of our community has gifts and talents that we seek to grow and channel. Our job is to find and foster these for all. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum geared towards ensuring that our students will be dynamic members of society when they leave the Academy.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Previous experience of working within a similar role (desirable)
- The ability to enforce standards around attendance, behaviour and progress
- The ability to actively promote positive values, attitudes and good student behaviour
- The ability to inspire and act as a mentor for students
- The ability to encourage active internal and external competition within the year group
- The ability to support the welfare and wellbeing of our students
- The ability to build positive relationships with students, parents and colleagues
- To be committed to working as part of a team who are passionate about achieving the very best outcomes for all out students
- Be educated to a minimum of Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent) in English and Mathematics
- To have high levels of motivation, energy, a good sense of humour, and a reflective approach to the role.
The Thinking Schools Academy Trust
The Thinking Schools Academy Trust is a family of schools consisting of both primary and secondary schools across Kent, Hampshire and Plymouth.
We believe that every young person in our community deserves to have the best opportunities at life regardless of their individual circumstances.
Education is the key to transforming life chances and we support and develop every member of our community to:
- Think about their Thinking
- Be their Best self
- Shape their Success
In this way we transform life chances
What our Trust will offer you:
- A state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art, music drama and humanities.
- With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
- The opportunity to work with happy and well-behaved children who are excited about learning and work with parents who are supportive of our school values and ethos.
- We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy and were proud to previously receive the Wellbeing award at the Teach Portsmouth Awards.
- Benefit from an internationally accredited pedagogy approach to thinking and learning, which has been proven to enhance classroom practice.
- A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas
- Free parking in our staff car park
View our latest video to gain an insight into The Portsmouth Academy and The Thinking Schools Academy Trust
What you need to do now:
If you are interested in working in our school, benefitting from a supportive network of teachers across our large academy and our Trust and you are keen to progress your career, then please apply today!
To apply please visit the Thinking Schools Academy Trust website: Career Opportunity · Thinking Schools Academy Trust (tsatrust.org.uk)
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
To arrange an informal conversation with the Curriculum Lead, please contact Sue Wood Executive PA email@example.com
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.