Director of English - Castle View Academy
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£50,151 - £54,091
31 January 2021
Location: Paulsgrove, Portsmouth
Salary: Competitive and negotiable at interview (L8-L11 : £50,151- £54,091)
Start Date: September 2021
Director of English
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated individual to lead our successful English department.
The successful candidate will lead an innovative and forward-thinking team who collectively work together in raising the aspiration and success of our students. The successful candidate will be an outstanding classroom practitioner and middle leader; skilled in motivating and inspiring our students with their passion for English.
- To raise or maintain standards of student attainment and achievement across the English faculty, ensuring the faculty exceeds National expectations
- To be accountable for student progress and development within the faculty
- To act as the Head of department for English
- To lead the whole school literacy and reading program, including Direct Instruction and step up intervention
- To work in partnership with the leadership team to decide on the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students in accordance with the aims of the Academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Principal
- To ensure rigorous monitoring, quality control and effective teacher development across the faculty
- Contribute to the formulation and regular up-dating of the Departmental Development Plan with due regard to the Academy Improvement Plan and The Academy Self Evaluation Framework
- To work with the Academy Leadership team to ensure the quality of teaching is at least Enhancing across the faculty
- To address underperformance in line with academy policies
- To establish good faculty liaison with feeder schools and education providers
In return we are offering a highly attractive salary, along with the benefits of being part of United Learning, opportunities to share good practice and collaborate with colleagues across every phase of education.
Castle View Academy is part of United Learning, a large, and growing, group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England.
Our schools work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. Our subject specialists, our Group-wide intranet, our own curriculum and our online learning portal all help us share knowledge and resource, helping to simplify work processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance.
As a Group, we can reward our staff better: with good career opportunities, better pay, benefits, and ultimately, the satisfaction of helping children to succeed. We invest in our staff wellbeing. Our academies each have at least eight INSET days per year (with three of those solely dedicated to planning), and an ongoing group-wide wellbeing programme. It’s an ethos we call ‘the best in everyone’.
For further information and to apply, please refer to our website: