Energy Services Team Leader
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices Guildhall Walk Portsmouth
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£32,233 - £35,744 Per Annum
20 January 2021
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
The role is responsible for the day-to-day operation and smooth running of the processes and procedures of the energy services team. Managing a small team, you will be responsible for ensuring that a range of services within the utilities, domestic and projects sections of the team are carried out to a high standard. You will be responsible for developing and monitoring the processes and procedures required to ensure the team works efficiently; executing works with a high degree of accuracy and in a timely manner.
The role will have responsibility for all technical administrative functions within the team; including overseeing all invoicing, payments, telephony, CRM and compliance. The role will act as an escalation point for complaints, and will oversee query management. The role will also act as the contract administrator on a number of smaller, revenue contracts; and act as a first point of contact for some of the team’s external and internal clients.
The role will be responsible for the effective management of a team of Energy Assistants; offering support and direction, as well as managing their performance and professional development. The role will work with the energy service teams’ management to develop and adopt formal processes; in order to successfully and efficiently execute the technical administrative requirements of the team.
Who is the Person?
An experienced manager or team leader, you will have an appetite for shaping a new role and team, involved in the technical administration of a wide range of energy services. You must have an ability to interpret complex issues and break them into formal protocols and processes by execution of your team.
The individual must have the confidence to speak to a range of levels when dealing with queries and complaints; from homeowners, suppliers, clients and management within the wider Council. They must have an ability to break down complexity and present it in an understandable way.
The role must have a strong handle on business processes, performance and data management. Organisation, time management and ability to set their own priorities; as well as respond to business priorities agreed with management, is key. The role must be competent with a range of software packages, have used data to develop and improve working practices, and have experience of using CRM.
The role must have experience of managing staff; and have a drive to lead a team of technical administrative staff. Demonstrable ability of managing and developing staff is essential to success in the role; improving knowledge and skills, and managing performance to give exceptional results.
The role should have a good knowledge and experience of a similar role within the energy industry; either in supply, management or other specialisms within the sector. It would be an advantage to have broad knowledge of energy, the legislation underpinning supply, metering, suppliers and invoicing, energy management and domestic energy efficiency. A desire to learn and build a significant depth of knowledge around energy services is essential to the role.
Requirements of the Role
- Experience of staff managing staff or leading teams; developing staff and managing a team’s performance
- Experience of developing formal processes and protocols to execute work streams set out by management
- Experience of working towards achieving targets and deadlines
- Experience of reporting to a range of stakeholders at different levels of technical knowledge and seniority
- Ability to handle escalation of queries and complaints
- Ability to manage small, revenue contracts
- Extensive and demonstrable experience of working within the energy sector
- Knowledge and experience of using relevant software, data and systems such as CRM and telephony
- An extensive and in-depth knowledge of the energy sector; with a specialism either on supply or energy management
- Experience of working in utilities supply and management: knowledge of billing, PPAs, bill validation, energy management software, automatic metering etc.
- A knowledge and understanding of the key issues surrounding domestic energy supply, efficiency and fuel poverty
- Experience of having built and shaped a team from an early stage of the team’s development
- Having developed systems such as CRM and telephony protocols from an early stage
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the full “Job Profile” attached to ensure your application matches the requirements of the role.
If you wish to send a CV, please consider a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect candidate for this position.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
Interview process w/c 1st February 2021