Engineering Technician - Portsmouth International Port
Portsmouth City Council
Portsmouth International Port
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£25,481 - £45,611 Per Annum
1 August 2021
Salary: Band 7 £25,481 – £29,577 (plus allowances £39,771 – £45,611).
Hours: 47.5 hours per week on average, 07:00 – 17:00 Monday to Friday. Plus callout one week in four, covering evenings weekends and public holidays.
The council employ us to facilitate the repair, maintenance, modification and installation of new equipment for “Portsmouth International Port”, including the “Camber Dock” area. We also provide engineering diagnostic and fitting skills on a range of works including capital projects, planned and preventative maintenance, corrective & minor and major works.
What is the role
To work within the Technical Services Group (TSG) structure of the Portsmouth International Port (PIP) maintenance team providing Electrical & Mechanical engineering skills on a range of works.
Responsible to the Maintenance & Facilities Manager (M&FM)
Who is the person
Have served a recognised Electrical Engineering Apprenticeship, and ideally also have a BTEC in Electrical Engineering (or similar / equivalent) qualification, plus ideally some Mechanical fitting experience.
- You must already hold the 18th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations qualification and have a sound knowledge of and relevant experience in the installation and maintenance of 415v and 240v systems
- Be conversant with and able to perform the functions specified by the Planned Maintenance System (PMS) for checking and reporting of defects on items of PIP operational equipment and major assets.
- To carry out corrective works on non-functioning or damaged equipment as reported through the Defect Reporting System (DRS) or through the PMS.
- To carry out minor works with an emphasis on Electrical maintenance, Testing and Inspection and Electrical installation and to be capable of diagnostic analysis of electrical installations.
- To undertake other repairs and general maintenance on Port assets including operational structures, machinery and pumps etc.
- To be capable of working from engineering drawings.
- To be conversant with and capable of operating workshop related machinery.
- To drive the vehicles provided in the performance of the duties given, including collection of materials and equipment as required.
- To be qualified in or if not, attend courses for confined space, MEWP operation, slinging/ lifting and Working at height.
- To be fully conversant with Health & Safety legislation in order to perform safely the duties listed above. To undertake Risk Assessments in conjunction with the Head of Engineering / Maintenance & Facilities Manager as required.
- To participate in the TSG “On Call” roster team for one week in four and also provide additional cover during periods of sickness absence and other unforeseen absences within the group.
- You need to be confident working unsupervised and able to use your own initiative. You’ll need to be adaptable and flexible to meet the demands of the service.
- Required to comply with all PIP and Portsmouth City Council policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other tasks that may be reasonably allocated by PIP.
This is a physically demanding role, and you must be able to work at heights and in confined spaces as well as outdoors in all weathers;
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Mr John Cotton, Facilities & Maintenance Manager, 02392 855905.
How to apply:
Please see attached documents at the bottom of the Job page and ensure you fully read and follow the guidance so you fully demonstrate how you meet the points on the job profile. PLEASE DO NOT JUST SUBMIT A CV.
All employees and third parties working at the Portsmouth International Port are subject to a Substance Misuse – Drug & Alcohol Testing Policy and the Port reserves the right to carry out with cause and random testing.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
As part of any recruitment process, Portsmouth City Council collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. Portsmouth City Council is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
Completing and sending an application in for a vacancy is your consent for us to process your data for the purpose of recruitment. Your data is not used in any other way and you can withdraw your consent at any point in the recruitment process and we will destroy or delete your information.
For more detailed information on what we collect, how we use, store, delete data and your rights you can access a privacy statement on our Job board.
If you have any queries, contact us on 023 9284 1191 (8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 4:00pm Friday)
You will need to demonstrate that you have the Right to Work in the UK. No post will be offered without it.