Green & Clean Manager
Portsmouth City Council
Job typeFull Time, Fixed Term
£32,233 - £35,744 Per Annum
9 March 2021
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. Please only submit a CV to show your employment history, not your suitability for the role.
The full Job Profile is attached.
Fixed Term Contract or Secondment for 2 years
37 hours per week
You must be able to work from any site as required
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
What is the role?
The main responsibility of the Green & Clean Manager is to manage all elements of cleaning and grounds maintenance at our council housing’s communal areas or contracted sites. You will be required to line manage teams of between 10 and 40 resources such as cleaners gardeners and bulk operatives, allocating their work and supporting them in meeting the purpose of the service, which is “to help keep the local area safe, clean and tidy and provide advice / support when needed”. You will deal with problems as they arise, including helping staff with advice and guidance or by taking away bigger issues to resolve with others in the local area management team and beyond.
You will gather data, analyse and use it to improve your understanding of how the service operates, including the demands residents make on the service and their satisfaction with it. You will work with your staff to identify areas for improvement and implement them, experimenting where required. You will also need to liaise with Councillors and work with them to address local resident issues and concerns.
You will liaise with external contractors and manage the work they carry out in your area as well as dealing with any issues that arise while maintaining a good working relationship based on partnering principles. You will need to ensure that the ordering of stock and the maintenance of equipment is carried out. You will also manage the Green and Clean finances for your area.
You will be part of the area office management team and have input on the wider services provided by that area.
Who is the Person?
You need to:
- Be an excellent communicator, who has the ability to listen and talk to a range of people from cleaning operatives to Councillors.
- Have had some experience in a supervisory role, with experience of managing people, sickness absence, knowledge of HR Policies an advantage.
- Have an understanding of systems thinking methodology and experience of using the method and experience of using this to develop a service or staff.
- Have good IT skills and experience of using databases and spreadsheets, particularly to manipulate/analyse data.
- Be able to plan, organise and prioritise work, as you will be juggling many tasks at once.
- Be confident and comfortable to make decisions on your own without referring to line management.
- A working knowledge or understanding of Health and Safety and Waste Management legislation would be an advantage
- Be willing to travel around your allotted area and to attend out of hours meetings.
- Have some experience of managing budgets as you will be responsible and accountable for your team’s budget.
- Have full UK driving licence to travel across housing areas.
- Have the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
Assessment process: 15th March 2021
Interview process: 16th/17th March 2021
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the role informally please contact Philip Bentley (Head of Estate Services) on 02392 606551
If applying as a secondment you will need permission from your current line manager releasing you for this secondment. Please state you have this on your application form.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.