Green & Clean Resource Controller
Portsmouth City Council
Job typeFull Time, Fixed Term
£20,159 - £21,841 Per Annum
23 September 2021
Fixed Term Contract/Secondment for 1 year
37 hours per week, typical working hours on a rota basis are 0700 – 1700. Working outside of these service hours may also be required. This role will be based at the Housing Depot.
The services that operate from the Housing Depot include but are not limited to the removal and disposal of bulk, green waste and trolleys from the estate, jet-washing, window cleaning using long-reach poles, bin cleaning as well as resourcing the Estate Service Officers.
The primary role of the Green & Clean service is the cleaning and gardening of all communal housing areas. Our purpose is “to help keep the city safe, clean and tidy and provide advice/support when needed”.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what’s important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect who you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
You will be part of a team that receives a high volume of demand which you will record onto the Green & Clean database. You will be responsible for allocating jobs to multiple resources ensuring the work is prioritised in the required manner.
We work in a demand-led way, which means we do not operate to a schedule and specification. You will use data from our computer systems to further your local knowledge about our housing estates in order to decide where to allocate resources.
You will be the first point of contact for an entire team, some lone-workers, and will need to be able to respond in a timely, appropriate and supportive manner to queries you receive.
You must have a good understanding of health and safety legislation, service specific rules and risk assessments. You will need to have a strong focus on promoting health and safety, which will include managing staff’s lone-working and ensuring safe methods of work.
You will need to be able to resolve problems that are beyond the remit or capacity of the team, e.g. working with other departments to deal with tenancy issues, escalating issues to the Green & Clean supervisor or Manager if required.
Due to the varying nature of the workload and demand which hits the service you may also be required to work outside the normal core hours, including evenings and weekends – this flexibility is paramount.
Who is the person?
- To be able to work well under pressure, as you will be managing a high volume of calls.
- To be a good listener and capture information concisely & accurately.
- To be able to communicate effectively over the phone and face-to-face to support the team in meeting the Green & Clean purpose.
- To be a motivated, hard-working and conscientious individual who is able to use initiative when necessary and take pride in the work.
- To be a confident and calm person who is able to be diplomatic in challenging situations.
- To be able to make good decisions, take responsibility for actions and learn from any mistakes made.
- To be flexible and able to adapt to changing work situations.
- To be an honest person with a positive attitude and good work ethic.
- To have good IT skills, including experience using databases and Microsoft Office suite.
If applying as a secondment you will need permission from your current line manager releasing you for this secondment. Please state you have this on your application form.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached.