Grounds Maintenance Operative
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices Guildhall Walk Portsmouth
Job typePart Time, Permanent
£19 - £19 Per Annum
1 August 2021
Hours: Part Time 6 hours per week (to be worked on Saturdays)
The Service – Parks and open spaces – Culture Leisure and Regulatory Services
Portsmouth’s parks and open spaces are of a consistent high standard, fit for purpose, and they need to be maintained to meet the needs of Portsmouth’s residents and visitors. The services main priority is to maintain a high standard across all parks and open spaces which covers 760 hectares of publicly accessible green space in Portsmouth consisting of parks and open spaces, allotments, cemeteries, golf course and semi-natural open space, with assorted sports and play facilities within.
What is the role
As part of the Grounds Maintenance operations team you will carry out the necessary works to maintain all aviaries, animal enclosures and ponds to ensure the health and security of all birds, animals and fish held within Victoria Park and College Park enclosures.
You will be responsible for carrying out a range of duties which will include;
- Tend to livestock daily for the feeding, watering and cleaning of the quarters.
- Visual inspection to livestock daily for any signs of ill health or injury
- Regular inspections of all structures, nesting boxes, shelters and sleeping quarters.
- Replenishing straw, wood shavings and hay as required.
- Identify fresh food requirements for livestock and order with supplier.
- Regular reporting of livestock headcount
- Regular cleaning of hutches and housing.
- Cleaning of walls, fittings and perches to remove droppings and soilings and the areas washed using a diluted disinfectant
- Emptying, cleaning and refilling of duck ponds
- Maintain bark and shingle areas
- Consultation with veterinary practice on livestock health
- Administer medicines to sick animals and undertake basic health care
- Maintain vaccination and other records for livestock
- Transportation of livestock to / from veterinary practice for treatment
- Driving of a commercial vehicle
- Liaise with management team as and when required
Who is the person
You need to:
- The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate a practical knowledge in the care and welfare of commercial animals
- Experienced in animal husbandry and hold NVQ Level 2 in Animal Management or equivalent
- Be self-motivated and able to work under supervisory instruction, following set processes and procedures as well as the ability to work automatously when required
- Be able to plan and manage your time effectively, deciding which tools and equipment are required for each task to ensure your duties are completed efficiently
- Be able to perform duties according to the Council’s Policies and codes of behaviour
- Have experience and be able to use tools and cleaning machinery such as pressure washers as required for the role
- Be flexible to provide cover at weekends and out of normal working hours when required
- Ideally have a clean full driving license.
- To be proactive member of a team , positive and professional with the ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to report areas of concern or issues within the work place
- Work in an effective and efficient way and suggest and implement improved ways of working wherever possible.
- Be able to attend and work in any of the maintenance areas within the city.
- Observe all Health and Safety rules and take reasonable care to promote the health and safety of themselves and others.
- Full uniform will be provided
How to apply: Please see attached documents at the bottom of the Job page and ensure you fully read and follow the guidance so you fully demonstrate how you meet the points on the job profile. PLEASE DO NOT JUST SUBMIT A CV.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
As part of any recruitment process, Portsmouth City Council collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. Portsmouth City Council is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
Completing and sending an application in for a vacancy is your consent for us to process your data for the purpose of recruitment. Your data is not used in any other way and you can withdraw your consent at any point in the recruitment process and we will destroy or delete your information.
For more detailed information on what we collect, how we use, store, delete data and your rights you can access a privacy statement on our Job board.