Health and Safety Administrator Apprentice
Portsmouth City Council
Job typeFull time, Fixed Term Contract
£18,329 - £18,329 Per Annum
22 October 2021
Health & Safety team
Level 3 Business Administration Apprenticeship with Community Learning, Portsmouth City Council
Fixed Term Contract for 18 months
Ref: 3715 – 4464
Salary: £18,329 p.a.
37 hours per week
The Health and Safety Team are responsible for supporting a wide range of services which all work together to deliver the City Council’s vision. We are responsible for supporting council services to ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of those affected by the council’s activities such as Councillors, staff, visitors, contractors and so on. The purpose of the Health and Safety Team Administrator is to support the H&S Team to achieve their objectives. This will be a busy and challenging role for someone who enjoys working as part of a team.
What is the role?
The Administrator role covers a wide range of tasks, often with competing priorities. Most tasks need to be performed daily, at the Civic Offices but there is a mixture of office based and homeworking. The main tasks include:
- Opening and sorting post.
- Phone cover for enquiries when other staff are absent.
- Dealing with email general enquiries and forward them onto Advisors as required.
- Dealing with general finance enquiries.
- Administering Council’s Eye Test Voucher System.
- Setting up meetings, booking rooms, booking business visitors to the building, booking car parking for visitors and greeting them when they arrive.
- Supporting meetings by preparing agendas, setting up rooms, minute taking and tracking actions agreed.
- Maintaining and updating the corporate incident database including trend analysis.
- Maintaining and updating corporate incident records.
- Assisting the H&S Manager with maintaining and updating the H&S intranet site.
- Liaising with clients and other council departments.
- Preparing statistics using the corporate incident database for committees, meetings and FOI requests.
- Coordinating corporate H&S training and recording on the corporate training database.
- Assist with creating on-line e-learning provision
- Responsible for facilitating the loan of training laptops.
As part of this role you will complete the Level 3 Business Administration qualification and attend H&S training courses to enhance your working knowledge of Health and safety.
Who is the person?
You will need to:
- Be organised, trustworthy and reliable.
- Want to gain experience and knowledge of administration work in a local government setting.
- Want to gain experience and knowledge of health and safety work in a local government setting.
- Be able to learn to effectively manage your time to achieve your tasks within deadlines.
- Have a good eye for detail and be able to work with a high level of accuracy.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills and be able to liaise with a range of people.
- Be a good team player, adaptable and flexible in response to the needs of the service.
- Have good IT skills and good working knowledge of MS office tools, including Word, Excel & Outlook, with the ability to learn and use internal systems.
- Have Maths and English – GCSE C or above, functional skills level 2 or grade 4-9
- Good written/recording skills as you will be taking minutes and communicating by email.
- Have a clear understanding of confidentiality and data protection.
Closing date: 22nd October 2021
How to apply: Please see the application form attached at the bottom of the job page and email your application to email@example.com ensuring the reference number and the Post Title are in the subject box – this will ensure your application is sent to the correct manager as quickly as possible. We receive 1000’s of applications and do not always have the resource to investigate an application that is not clearly marked. If you do not receive an automated reply then we have not received your application.
You will need to demonstrate that you have the Right to Work in the UK. No post will be offered without it.
After the closing date all applications will be sifted for suitable candidates by Portsmouth City Council manager and the training provider.
Once the selection has taken place, if successful you will be asked to attend the interview process.