Keyboard/Piano Music Teacher
Portsmouth City Council
Portsmouth Music Service
Job typePart Time, Fixed Term
£18,419 - £36,961 Pro Rata
21 October 2021
Keyboard/Piano Music Teacher (Music Service) – fixed term contract until the 31 August 2022
Salary: Pay is claimed monthly. The rate of pay is linked to teachers’ pay scales and is determined by the experience and qualifications of the person appointed. The salary scale will be capped at Main Scale 6, however more experienced teachers may apply. Unqualified: £18,419 (UQ1)- £28,735, Qualified: MPR1: £25,714 – MPR6: £36,961 pa, pro rata) (UQ6)
Hours per week: up to 0.1 FTE – up to 3 hours – To be confirmed with schools, This work is term-time only.
Portsmouth Local Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. It is also committed to promoting quality childcare across the City that works to improve outcomes for children.
DBS Disclosure at Enhanced level will be required prior to any offer of employment and this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Every post is subject to PCC and Portsmouth Safeguarding Children’s Board safer recruitment procedures.
Portsmouth Music Service has an office base c/o Paulsgrove Community Centre, Marsden Road, Paulsgrove, Portsmouth, PO6 4JB
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Your New Role
Your responsibilities will include:
- teaching keyboard and piano lessons to individuals and small groups online and/or face to face
- planning and teaching lively and engaging lessons
- assessing pupils’ learning and progress
- recording and reporting on pupil progress as required
- developing and maintaining an effective relationship with the school
- maintaining good order among pupils with particular regard to their health and safety of the children
- participating in arrangements for training and professional development and keeping up to date with best practice in music education including appraisal
- following the policies and protocols of the Music Service and Portsmouth City Council at all times
- carrying out any other duties as may reasonably be required
- the postholder will be accountable to the Head of Portsmouth Music Service and line managed by a member of the Senior Leadership Team
What you’ll need to succeed
You will be an experienced, committed and effective teacher who is able to engage and enthuse children at secondary age. You will know how to plan and teach good keyboard/piano technique to individuals and small groups and have an uderstanding of the National Curriculum and the assessment requirements for schools.
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
How to apply: To make sure your application is above the rest, please review the “job profile” and “how to apply” to ensure your application matches the requirements of the role. Please ensure you refer to the ‘how to apply’ document when you complete your application as there is information in there that you need to include and evidence in your application for this role. This is really important or you are likely not to be short listed. Please ensure you fully read and follow the guidance so you fully demonstrate how you meet the points on the job profile. PLEASE DO NOT JUST SUBMIT A CV.