Local Taxation Officer
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices Guildhall Walk Portsmouth
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£21,841 - £25,481 Per Annum
31 October 2021
An opportunity has arisen within Revenues & Benefits, part of the Finance and Resources directorate. Revenues and Benefits provide customer and financial services to the residents and businesses of Portsmouth, and is part of the wider Finance and Resources directorate. The Local Taxation team manages the billing and collection of Council Tax.
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what’s important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect how you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations.
What is the role?
Reporting to the Local Taxation Team Leader, the post holder will administer council tax and business rates accounts, ensuring databases are accurately updated to reflect the collection and administration of council tax and Non-Domestic Rates.
The post holder will need to have good knowledge of council tax administration and will have experience of working in a similar role. The Local Taxation Officer will be responsible for:
- Dealing with a high volume of customer enquiries by correspondence, telephone and face to face.
- Assessing requests for discounts, disregards, exemptions and reliefs.
- Determining who is liable for council tax / Non-Domestic Rates.
- Negotiating payment arrangement and provide advice to customers experiencing financial difficulty.
Who is the person?
- A good working knowledge of council tax is desirable
- A good working knowledge of business rates is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent customer service skills and be able to demonstrate experience of working within a busy office environment
- Good communication skills and the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English
- A good working knowledge of MS office including the ability to use the internet and online resources to obtain information. Knowledge of updating records and accounts in a back office system is desirable
- Negotiating skills. These will enable you to negotiate/advise customers on a range of issues e.g. liability for council tax, business rates etc. –
- Experience of working with internal & external customers, some of whom may not be happy with your recommendations, as you will be required to review situations where the outcome is unclear and make decisions based on legislation and local policy.
- Flexibility to adapt to the evolving needs of Revenues and Benefits and the Finance and Resources directorate.
- Awareness of others’ feelings needs and concerns.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached.