Portsmouth City Council
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£32,233 - £35,744 Per Annum
31 December 2021
Portsmouth City Council
At Portsmouth City Council we’re all about developing our staff, because we want to build a bigger and better city but we need the best employees to do so.
With a little over 207,000 residents and 7,000 businesses throughout this city, this unitary authority’s main goal is to ensure the best care and development of all those within the city. From customer service to Multi-million pound projects, our residents are at the heart of everything we do.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Maintenance Surveyor to join our repairs and maintenance team with good knowledge of day to day repairs and relevant experience of diagnosing and managing their delivery. Previous experience of working for a Local Authority or housing provider is not essential and you may have a trade background working for a Contractor delivering day to day repairs.
Applicants must be enthusiastic, good communicators, display attention to detail and be keen to develop their building surveying skills. Experience of working with customers of a repairs service, understanding their needs and managing their expectations is essential.
What is the role?
You will be based at any one of our Area Housing Offices working as part of a Repairs team.
You will carry out a wide range of duties across our varied 15,000 housing stock, together with our asset portfolio of corporate operational, commercial and community assets including schools.
You will predominantly be attending day to day repairs, updating stock data, evaluating and diagnosing what work is required, assessing the best options to carry out the work and issuing response repairs.
Who is the person?
You need to:
- Be able to demonstrate sufficient relevant experience and knowledge of general day to day response repairs in a housing or commercial environment.
- Have good building construction technology and building pathology knowledge together with the ability to evaluate and diagnose what work is required, assess the best options to carry out the work and issuing response repairs and advising others.
- Have a knowledge of building related legislation as appropriate to the role and be able to apply as necessary.
- Have knowledge and experience of construction related health & safety legislation knowledge generally and be able to apply specifically the working at height regulations, and Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.
- Practical surveying skills that can be demonstrated; specifically be able to carry out stock data and measured surveys, accurately recording stock data as appropriate.
- Demonstrating you can manage a contractor using a contract, negotiating contractual matters and resolution of disputes with contractors.
- Have knowledge and experience of cost control techniques and be able to demonstrate commercial awareness when undertaking cost estimates for larger repair work, exercise financial control when managing work and assess value for money for work undertaken when auditing completed repairs. Demonstrate analytical skills to be able to interrogate, analyse and evaluate previous repair information
- Have relevant knowledge and experience of all Microsoft packages and demonstrate practical IT skills using Excel spreadsheets or Word when writing reports or letters and be capable of using various other software packages with appropriate training to accurately update data as part of undertaking the surveying role.
- Have planning skills and demonstrate the ability to be organised and methodical when undertaking inspections to ensure effective time management.
- Have excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and demonstrate the ability to be a good communicator developing relationships with clients and customers, understanding their aspirations, managing expectations and ensuring that excellent communication occurs to ensure that they are fully informed regarding the repairs and maintenance of their assets, particularly as most repairs and maintenance work is undertaken in occupation whilst our residents are living in their homes or commercial buildings are operational.
- Have a full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting various sites across Portsmouth and will need to travel effectively between them.
What you’ll get in return
As well as highly competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme we will work together to drive your career. For those with families we have child care benefits as well as discounts with local businesses which can be enjoyed by all.
There is no closing date – we will shortlist as the advert goes along. We may close the advert early if we receive enough suitable applications.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. Please only submit a CV to show your employment history, not your suitability for the role. Please ensure you check your spam/junk e-mail folders as sometimes e-mails may go there. The full job profile is attached.