Portsmouth City Council
Job typePart Time, Fixed Term
£20,512 - £22,223 Per Annum
8 August 2022
Fixed Term Contract/Secondment until 31.12.22
Salary: Band 5 – £20,512 – £22,223 p.a. (£16,631 – £18,018 pro rata based on 30 hours)
30 hours per week on annualised hours contract usually working between 3 and 37 hours per week including weekend and evening. Peak demand for service is during school holidays with no more than equivalent of 5 days leave to be taken in the summer holidays and no more than equivalent of 10 days leave to be taken in school holidays per leave year.
What is the role?
You will be organising and running activities for children aged 6 – 13 on a council run Adventure Playground. Activities include arts and crafts, sports and other creative activities. You will be engaging and communicating with children from varying backgrounds as well as interacting with their parents and your own colleagues. You will also be responsible for ensuring the sites are a safe environment for children to play in and report any potential dangers.
You will be supporting the Adventure Playground staff team to develop the play facility having regard for the needs of local children and in line with PCC policies & procedures.
Who is the person?
You need to:
1. Be aged 18 or over as this is a legal requirement for the role.
2. Have a Level 2 qualification in Play Work would be advantageous.
3. Have experience in the field of working with young people 6 – 13 years
4. Be able to deal with conflict and work well under pressure.
5. Have a creative mind and a self-motivated, enthusiastic manner to provide an exciting programme of activities for children, with related skills as an advantage.
6. Be able to relate to younger people, and experience working in this field would be an advantage.
7. Have good communication skills in talking to a wide range of people including children, parents and colleagues.
8. Be a team player who can work in small teams effectively.
9. Be flexible to work across all of PCC APG.
. 10.Be aware of the relevant Health and Safety regulations.
If applying as a secondment you will need permission from your current line manager releasing you for this secondment. Please state you have this on your application form.
Please note we may close this advert early should we receive enough suitable applications.
Interview process: w/c 15th August 2022
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is really important or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached.