Project Management Support Officer - Port Health
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices Guildhall Walk Portsmouth
Job typeFull Time, Fixed Term
£25,481 - £29,577 Per Annum
8 August 2021
The Regulatory Services team is responsible for delivering a pest control service and the regulation of clean air, port health border controls and sampling, health and safety, food safety and standards, animal welfare, communicable diseases, statutory nuisance, environmental permitting, rogue and fraudulent traders, fair trading, product safety, intellectual property crime, age restricted sales, petroleum and explosive safety.
What is the role
Reporting to the Port Project Lead officer (PPLO) and Project Management Officers (PMOs) you will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of project management processes, methodologies and functions that will provide a framework for the successful formation and operation of a new Port Health Service at Portsmouth’s new Port Border Control Post (BCP)
Whilst providing assistance in the delivery of the entire Regulatory Services team, the focus of Project Management Support Officer (PMSO) will be the coordination and delivery of the Port Health readiness project. Working closely alongside the Project Management Officers, the PMSO will assist with the organisation, planning and execution of this project, which will include scheduling tasks, risk and progress management and liaising with stakeholders.
A PMSO will be integral part of achieving BCP readiness, having a direct impact on the efficiency and overall success of the project. This role requires excellent communication and organisational skills, logical thinking and an enthusiasm for complex problem solving.
The role’s duties will include:
- Reporting on progress, resources, finance or costings
- Overseeing projects, mitigating risks and solving issues
- Quality assurance, for example through collating data, auditing or compliance checks
- Scheduling meetings, taking minutes and setting agendas for the port health team
- Internal and external stakeholder management
- Completing and updating project records
- Sending letters and emails in respect to enquiries / complaints
- Basic service invoicing needs
Who is the person
You need to have:
- Knowledge of the UK Border Operating Model (BOM)
- An understanding of the implications and requirements for UK Borders post the end of the EU exit transition period.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Ability to work independently and at times with a minimum direction
- Strong organisation skills and ability to work accurately and meeting challenging deadlines in a pressurised environment with competing demands
- Demonstrable project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint skills
- Experience of using PPM software
- Proven reliability and abilities in respect to working with senior managers
- A good understanding of the structures, processes and governance frameworks across the City Council and experience of working in an environment that necessitates high levels of assurance and transparency
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and build supportive relationships across all directorates
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to ensure that any information / situation is handled in a respectful manner without escalation
- An understanding of how personal information needs to be managed
What you’ll get in return
As well as competitive pay you’ll receive all the benefits of working within a local authority organisation, which ranges from flexible working hours to a fantastic pension which allows you the opportunity to pay in more for that greater return.
Annual leave starts at 26 days going up to 30 days and staff discounts for travel and local shops. We wish to support all our staffs development throughout, if that’s progression planning, or involvement within the on the job apprenticeship scheme, we will work together to drive your career.
How to apply:
Ensure you complete the application form in its entirety, or you may not be shortlisted.
Please read the “Job Profile” to ensure your application meets the requirements of the role and you fully demonstrate how you meet the points on the job profile. If you wish to send a CV, please consider a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect candidate for this position.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.