PRS Sustainment Officer
Portsmouth City Council
Civic Offices Guildhall Walk Portsmouth
Job typeFull Time, Fixed Term
£25,927 - £30,095 Per Annum
17 August 2022
Fixed Term Contract/Secondment until 31st March 2024
1.6 FTE available altogether however we will consider all flexible working requests such as 1 x 37 hours per week & 1 x 22.2 hours per week or 2 x 29.6 hours per week
Portsmouth City Council’s Housing Needs, Advice & Support Service works directly with customers to help resolve housing issues and prevent homelessness in the city. It is a busy front-line service dealing directly with customers, many of whom are vulnerable and/or facing homelessness
The purpose of the role is to help our customers who have, or have been at risk of, homelessness to be able to attain long term, settled housing. This will include working with customers who need short-term tenancy support to ensure the sustainability of their new accommodation. This means helping customers with claims for welfare benefits, maximisation of their income, managing their household budget, working closely with partner agencies, when needed, to achieve positive outcomes.
This role will help clients to wherever possible prevent homelessness. Activities can range from negotiating with landlords, support with income management, signposting to services and helping customers to identify and apply for sources of financial support they may be eligible for.
You will be someone who:
- Must have experience in the delivery of housing, rough sleeping, or homeless services, either in the voluntary, social, or statutory sector
- Ideally has worked with vulnerable customers, supporting them to sustain successful tenancies
- Ideally has previous experience of working with customers in a challenging front-line service and be comfortable visiting customers in their home.
- Has up-to-date and detailed knowledge of the current issues in homelessness and rough sleeping at a local and national level
- Understands or is willing to learn the relevant legislation with respect to tenancy management
- Has knowledge and experience of the benefits system in relation to housing, including Universal Credit and Housing Benefit
- Ideally understands the Systems Thinking approach in relation to the importance of applying value steps within the purpose of the service.
- Has an awareness of the diversity within Portsmouth’s private housing market, and the options for temporary and move- on accommodation.
- Is self-motivated with the autonomy to make decisions and implement improvements where necessary.
- Can understand customers’ needs and translate them into finding the right accommodation for the individual customer.
- Have excellent people skills with the ability to resolve conflict, but have a sympathetic, friendly, and empathetic manner to be able to understand the situations of our customers.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong influencing, negotiation, mediating, and relationship building skills
- Emotionally resilient and able to deal with the impact of being exposed to customer’s difficult circumstances. Being able to remain professionally detached and focused even if the message you deliver involves saying no in difficult circumstances.
- Competent in the use of IT systems with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Packages (to include Word, Outlook, and Excel) and databases.
Interviews 24th/25th August 2022
If you would like to discuss applying for this role prior to application, then contact: Janice Davis PRS Access Manager on 07940537769
If applying as a secondment you will need permission from your current line manager releasing, you for this secondment. Please state you have this on your application form.
When completing the application form, please thoroughly tailor your application to the ‘Who is the Person’ points with the use of examples from your experience. This is very important, or you are likely not to be shortlisted. The full job profile is attached.