Senior Safeguarding Officer (SSO) - Portsmouth College
Job typeFull Time, Permanent
£22,761 - £24,222
10 May 2021
Senior Safeguarding Officer (SSO)
Portsmouth College, Portsmouth
37 hours per week, 52 weeks
£22,761 – £24,222 per annum
Closing date 10.00 am 10th May 2021
We require a Senior Safeguarding Officer (SSO) to contribute to the provision and implementation of effective student safeguarding and child protection throughout the college by supporting the Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead (DDSL) and line managing the Designated Safeguarding Assistant (DSA).
The Senior Safeguarding Officer (SSO) will hold a cross-college responsibility for student safeguarding supporting the DDSL and any Senior Leadership Team member as necessary. The DSO will demonstrate the highest levels of commitment and compliance to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
Relevant up to date training and experience is essential and it is critical that you have achieved Level 3+ qualifications in a related field. You will need to be reliable, demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills and have an understanding of the need to maintain boundaries and confidentiality with students. You need to be able to work with sensitivity and discretion. The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check.
The college is currently in the process of merger discussions with Highbury College. If the merger proceeds, then the SSO will be based at the Tangier Road Campus and will serve the staff and students on that site.
Candidates should have :
- a Level 3+ qualified in a relevant field related to the role
- CPD portfolio evidence related to Safeguarding and Child Protection
- Ideally have a Higher Level Degree qualification related to the role
- Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding issues and procedures
- demonstrable experience of working effectively with vulnerable children in either education, social work, youth work or another related area of work
- Experience of working within Child Protection and Multi-Agency liaison
- Ability to communicate effectively and confidently with external agencies, students, parent / carers and staff (face to face or by phone and email)
- Confident in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Outstanding accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to relate to students in the 16-19 age group
For a full recruitment pack and to download an application form, please refer to the staff vacancy page of Portsmouth College website: www.portsmouth-college.ac.uk. Please note that CVs alone will not be accepted.
Please return completed application forms to the HR Department. Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation all completed applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 10.00 am on 10th May 2021.
Interviews will take place on the afternoon of Thursday 20th May 2021.